FTP server strangeness

Subject: FTP server strangeness
From: Rob Brandt (rbrandt@sbdsl.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 12:21:46 MST

Let me start by saying that I've learned only enough about Linux in
the last 9 months to be dangerous...

Running YDL 2.0 on the server, I'm having trouble connecting via FTP
all of the sudden. Everything was working great until I tried to log
in via ftp last night. This is a low performance server I use mostly
for internal development.

When I built the server last June, installed wu-ftp and until now it
had been working fine. Last night when I tried to log in my ftp
client reported "connection failed". I tried it from various clients
and computers, trying to access various domains using different
users, so I am convinced the trouble lies on the server side. Web
and email services work great. Someone told me a couple of months
ago that wu-ftp was buggy and insecure, so when it went out last
night I decided to take the opportunity to switch to ProFTP. I
installed it, along with the inetd rpm found on the Froese.org web
site; I used v 1.2.4-1. I guessed that since I don't use inetd that
I would have to manually enter the settings for ProFTP in xinetd
instead. So for the ftp entry in xinetd I changed the command line
to /usr/sbin/in.proftpd instead of in.ftpd and hoped for the best.

Well, still no ftp access. At this point I don't know whether the
problem is with ProFTP configuration or with some other problem that
caused my initial problems with WU-FTP.

I'm not even sure how to diagnose. I looked through my list of
running processes (using WebMin) and there do not appear to be any
ftp daemons running while I try an log in.

Any help?

Rob