Re: netatalk can't unregister

Subject: Re: netatalk can't unregister
From: Keary Suska (hierophant@pcisys.net)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 15:44:26 MST

on 1/17/02 2:50 PM, sridel@earthlink.net purportedly said:

> Keary Suska:
>
> Armed with your answer to my earlier question, I show no occurrences of
> atalkd, and afpd. However, I do see an occurrence of papd, even though at
> this point I have not configured netatalk for apple printing (although, that
> would be my next project).

papd is probably configured to launch by default, especially if you used an
RPM to install.

> Having said that, I have more clues:
>
> When I punch in:
> # /usr/sbin/atalkd
>
> I get:
> atalkd: zero interfaces, existing.

This is likely to mean that your default ethernet interface (eth0) is not
"up". If you are not using your ethernet interface for networking, such as
using PPP, this would make sense. If you have a ppp0 interface configured,
tell atalkd to use it instead.

> After starting atalk, it appears in
> #ls /var/lock/subsys/atalk
>
> and when I stop atalk and check back in #ls /var/lock/subsys/, atalk goes
> away.

As it should. This is how the System V initialization system (all that rc.d
stuff) works.

> The most interesting clue, and the one that begs agreement with what you
> said about not having TCP/IP support for MOL is the fact that when I
> startmol and go into CONTROL PANEL>TCP/IP, I get a message which reads
> something to the effect that the previously configured Ethernet is not
> available, and that the connection has been changed to "AppleTalk (MacIP)".
>
> If this means that somehow MOL lost its TCP/IP support (probably due to my
> editing errors of /etc/molrc/), and this is the reason netatalk is not
> working, how do I fix it?

Netatalk and MOL are two entirely different things that have no relation to
each other, although they may interoperate. Netatalk is failing for its own
reasons as described above. That being said, getting TCP/IP support is not
usually a trivial matter. You should search the MOL archives for info, as
there are plenty of messages on what can/should be done to accomplish this.

> In /etc/molrc/, I have the following Ethernet settings:
>
> netdev: eth0 -sheep

This indicates that AppleTalk will use the ethernet interface eth0. TCP/IP
can't use this interface--it requires its own interface with its own IP. See
above for more info on TCP/IP access for MOL.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.