move data to secondary ATA IDE Drive

Subject: move data to secondary ATA IDE Drive
From: david wright (dwright5@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 17:35:40 MST

Ok, i have two ATA IDE Drives one for Applications and one to write data to.
YDL is on the Primary drive. Most of the Second Drive is HFS+ but now that
i'm mostly using Linux i wanted to take one (for now) of the 6 partitions on
this drive and convert it to ext2, which i did with: /sbin/mke2fs /dev/hdb12
then i added /dev/hdb12 / ext2 rw 0 0 to /etc/fstab. I added a mkdir newhome
-> new mount point to /mnt/newhome. (I basically want to mv /home
/mnt/newhome) It does auto mount on startup.

There are a few things that i don't get though.
mount produces: /dev/hdb12 on /mnt/newhome type ext2 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
-which i take to mean it has no execute, userid and nodev? privilages.
-i have chmod 775 to change that but it doesn't matter.

ls -l on /newhome
produces drwxrwxr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 16 22:42 newhome

and i can not write to it as a usr.

My question is how can i move my /home directory to /mnt/newhome and actually
use it?

thank you.

-david