Re: Can't install YDL 2.1 on B&W

Subject: Re: Can't install YDL 2.1 on B&W
From: Ed (ed@wang.org)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 08:04:45 MST

Thanks for the help, but rebooting into macos did nothing.

I never could get the GUI to work; it always fell back to the text
mode, so I let it be text.

I finally got the install to work by mounting the CD manually:

1) boot into install-gui (which defaults back to text mode)
2) before answering any questions, hit option-F2 to get the command
   prompt.
3) cat /proc/devices to find the major number of the CDROM (56 for me).
4) cat /proc/ide/hdXX/model to find the device name of the CDROM (hdi
   for me).
5) create the /dev files:
      makedevs /dev/hdi b 56 0 0 15 s
6) mount the CDROM:
      mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdi /mnt/media

The problem now is that I can't boot into linux. The final step of
the installer asked me if I wanted to install yaboot into hde7 (hde7
is the 10MB boot partition, hde8 is swap, hde9 is the ext2 for linux
and hde6 is an HFS+ partition with osX). I did this, but I never get
a chance to boot into linux. When I reboot, all I get is osX (or os9
on my main drive - hda).

I tried booting into the OpenFirmware prompt (cmd-option-o-f).
When osX is set as the startup disk, I see the boot-device is set to:
/pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/UltraTek100+@4/FrmTk-0/@0:6,\\:tbxi

I tried changing the 6 to a 7, and/or changing \\:tbxi to \\:yaboot or
\\yaboot or \yaboot or yaboot or ofboot or ofboot.b .... etc. Nothing
works. Do you know what might be needed here?

Or does the boot partition need to be on the main hard drive (hda)? or
the first partition on the secondary drive (hde1 or somesuch)?

        - Ed Wang