USB, KVMs, Old- and New-World Macs?

Subject: USB, KVMs, Old- and New-World Macs?
From: Sean O. Denney (sdenney@cise.ufl.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 19:08:19 MST

Well, it's been a while since I posted a question to the list. Yellow
Dog has been working like a dream for the past 6 or so months....
thanks Terrasoft :-)

Here goes my questions:

I have two computers, a G4/450MP and a 6400/200. The 6400/200 is
setup as follows:

Comm Slot: <Empty>
PCI slot 1: ATI XClaimVR 128 graphics card
PCI slot 2: MacSense 10/100TX ethernet card
OS: YDL CS 1.2.1 (stock kernel)

I would like to get a KVM (IOGear's Miniview II USB KVM to be precise)
to get rid of the horrible monitor I have now for the 6400/200. My
questions are:

1. Is there any adapter (aside from a PCI add-on) to convert USB to
ADB bi-directionally?

2. If not, would a Comm Slot ethernet tranceiver work with YDL? I
know there were problems w/ the whole GeoPort thing, I didn't know if
the ethernet had the same issue.

3. If not #2, and i get rid of the graphics card, does firewire work
with YDL yet? (Obviously not CS 1.2.1, but 2.1?) In other words, I
would like to put a combo USB/Firewire card in.

4. If I do get rid of the graphics card, that leaves me w/ 1 MB DRAM
video memory, which i believe maxes out at 800x600@8bpp. Is this
video mode supported by YDL, and if so, how would I go about stating
this in the BootX command line?

Also, if anyone knows what the max size IDE drive that a 6400/200 will
support, that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
--- Sean
sdenney@cise.ufl.edu