cc or gcc

Subject: cc or gcc
From: Chris Alden (mohotsaucemoproblems@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 19:53:38 MST

When trying to install software, I initiate the ./configure shell script, after which time I am presented with an error message which states "no acceptable cc found in $PATH", and that I need to "set the environment variable cc to an appropriate compiler". I know that this has something to so with the c compiler. How does one go about correcting such a problem. I know that me asking this question is a testament to my general ignorance on the subject, but any help would be greatly appreciated.)
p.s.:I am running YDL 2.0 on a first generation iMac. I am running the home/office version.
 thank you.