Re: hide ext2 partition from macos 9?

Subject: Re: hide ext2 partition from macos 9?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 02:35:05 MST

At 12:02 AM -0700 1/19/02, David Wright wrote:

>My problem is i recently changed one of the partitions from HFS+ to ext2,
>the problem is now if i boot into macos 9 (yeah, it doesn't happen much now,
>but it still happens) it complains that it can't read that partition and
>prompts me to initialize it (or cancel). Well if i cancel, mac starts up
>fine and see's all the other partitions, no problem. I know that macos can't
>use that partiton, i don't want it to! -
>
>How can i hide it so mac doesn't even see it? unmount? hide? why does it see
>it at all? it shouldn't. it can't read it.

The partition is still marked as type "Apple_HFS" in the partition
table. MacOS always tries to mount partitions of that type. It sees
gibberish instead of a valid HFS or HFS+ volume, so it complains at
you.

Use pdisk under Linux to delete that partition, then recreate it.
Make sure you get the starting block and size EXACTLY the same as
they were before. pdisk will make the replacement partition table
entry have type "Apple_UNIX_SVR2", which will make MacOS ignore it.

(If you're paranoid, back up what's on that partition and others
before doing this. I've successfully done stuff like this with no
backup -- pdisk only alters the partition table, not partition
contents.)

--
Tim Seufert