Trouble shooting netatalk by unpluging your Ethernet connection?

Subject: Trouble shooting netatalk by unpluging your Ethernet connection?
From: Srihan M. De Livera (sridel@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 15:56:03 MST

My goal: to be able to share files between YDL and MacOS 9.1 on the same
machine.

I have an iMacDV, and the very first time I tried Netatalk, it worked fine.
I then made the mistake of trying to dissect what I had done and started
playing around with /etc/molrc, as well as the CONTROL PANEL>TCP/IP settings
in the MacOS through MOL. (It is possible that I might have been frozen out
of MOL causing me to kill the session- not sure).

Once I was done playing around, I tried to start up netatalk which promptly
told me it had started and "backgrounded", however when I checked the
status, it showed that it had stopped. When I tried to restart atalk, it
told me that it couldn't unregister..... Thanks to Keary Suskar I learnt
that it couldn't unregister because there was nothing to unregister.

In addition to this, I was no longer able to access my Ethernet settings on
the MacOS side through MOL. When I opened CONTROL PANEL>TCP/IP, I got a
message which told me that my previously configured Ethernet settings are
not available, and that I now have to use MacIP. As far as CONTROL PANEL>
AppleTalk, my only "Connect via" options was "Remote only". I had somehow
totally lost my "Ethernet" option.

When I booted up into MacOS directly, I could make changes to the Ethernet
settings, however AppleTalk was still stuck on "Remote Only". This made it
obvious that my problem was, at least partially, on the Mac side.

When I had totally exhausted my options, I did the not-so-obvious-thing of
unplugging my crossover cable which was plugged into my Ethernet port, and
voila...when I went back into AppleTalk, my two "Connect via" options had
been restored. Also, when I went into CONTROL PANEL>TCP/IP in MOL, I could
use my Ethernet settings again. Most importantly, netatalk starts up, and a
status check reveals which pid is being used.

I apologies for the long story above, but I found it so unusual that I
thought it worth a mention.

This brings me to where I need your help.......

I can't find the Linux server in the Chooser.

In netcfg, "Interface", I have set up my eth0 interface to 192.168.0.3 with
a default mask of /24, with no protocol selected. Under the "Route" tab, I
selected Add, and I typed eth0 in the device field, 192.168.0.1 for the
network, and I activated the interface.

Netatalk is running.

In CONTROL PANEL>TCP/IP, I set up the Ethernet interface to 192.168.0.2/24,
and entered 192.168.0.1 for the router setting.

When I open up the Network Browser, I see an AppleTalk folder/icon, and a
Local Network folder/Icon, which in turn has another inside of it.

From the console I can ping 192.168.0.3, but not 192.168.0.1, or
192.168.0.2.

For what it's worth, in /etc/molrc, my Ethernet setting is:

netdev: eth0 -sheep

I am close, but no cigar. Can someone please help me see the light?

Thanks,

Srihan De Livera