Re: Trouble shooting netatalk by unpluging your Ethernet connection?

Subject: Re: Trouble shooting netatalk by unpluging your Ethernet connection?
From: Keary Suska (hierophant@pcisys.net)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 17:22:26 MST

on 1/19/02 3:56 PM, sridel@earthlink.net purportedly said:

> I can't find the Linux server in the Chooser.
>
> In netcfg, "Interface", I have set up my eth0 interface to 192.168.0.3 with
> a default mask of /24, with no protocol selected. Under the "Route" tab, I
> selected Add, and I typed eth0 in the device field, 192.168.0.1 for the
> network, and I activated the interface.

You don't need to add the route--it is probably redundant anyway. If your
entire network is private, and you don't need access to the internet proper,
routing isn't necessary as long as all the machines are in the same subnet.
Delete the route, and set your eth0 device to 192.168.0.1 instead. You will
have to restart the network, and restart Netatalk so it binds to the proper
IP.

> Netatalk is running.
>
> In CONTROL PANEL>TCP/IP, I set up the Ethernet interface to 192.168.0.2/24,
> and entered 192.168.0.1 for the router setting.

Do you mean you set up the IP address as 192.168.0.2, and the subnet mask as
255.255.255.0? That's how it would show up in the Mac OS control panel.

> When I open up the Network Browser, I see an AppleTalk folder/icon, and a
> Local Network folder/Icon, which in turn has another inside of it.
>
> From the console I can ping 192.168.0.3, but not 192.168.0.1, or
> 192.168.0.2.

You shouldn't be able to ping 192.168.0.1 as there is no device with that
address, unless you are running a routing daemon such as gated. Make the
changes recommended above, then see if you can ping 192.168.0.1 from the Mac
OS. If you can, then in the chooser under appleshare select the "Server IP"
button and enter 192.168.0.1. This should work, barring any issues with MOL.

If that doesn't work, you could try using the loopback interface instead.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.