Re: Installing a new ethernet card (was: telnet login and ftp too slow)

Subject: Re: Installing a new ethernet card (was: telnet login and ftp too slow)
From: Zeke Runyon (zrunyon@mac.com)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 10:32:28 MST

On Saturday, January 19, 2002, at 11:57 PM, Sean O. Denney wrote:

> If I remember correctly, the 7200/120 is one of those ghost in the
> machine jobs. If you check the YDL list on the subject you should
> find plenty of info on the subject.
>
> I think the main cause was an odd timing issue w/ the onboard
> ethernet. Installing a second ethernet card is how some people solved
> their problem.

So, if I get a new ethernet NIC, my problems will be solved? I couldn't
find much information on the YDL website about this, they just said that
YDL will work on 7200s but it isn't "officially supported".

What kind do I need to buy, what is supported in YDL? I want a 10/100
card, for fast transfers between machines on my 10/100 LAN.

Once I've gotten the card and installed it (hardware-wise) how do I set
it up for use in linux, assign it to an ethernet interface, redo the
network settings for that interface?

thanks for the help
zeke

                            ##
# Zeke Runyon, zrunyon@mac.com
# web: communistsquirrel.home.dhs.org (formerly zekeworld)
# Mac OS X 10.1.2 5P48 | OS 9.2.1 | Yellow Dog Linux 2.1
# Communist squirrels shall rule the world.