Sharing /dev/dsp, esd seems eccentric

Subject: Sharing /dev/dsp, esd seems eccentric
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 13:27:08 MST

Does anyone know how to reliably set up esd to share /dev/dsp or should I
look elsewhere?

I want to run xmms but not to have it exclusively use the sound channel -
so that other programs (eg a clock) can output sound whilst music is
playing. I am running WindowMaker hence none of the KDE or Gnome stuff is
loaded. In theory esd should do this but the documentation for it seems
sketchy.

Sometimes I can get xmms working and play a sound file with esdcat. If I
log out and then log in again the same procedure will not work.

  Iain