/etc/mtab - non-executable directory

Subject: /etc/mtab - non-executable directory
From: david wright (dwright5@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 10:53:59 MST

i created a new partition (and made a directory, mnt/newhome/) and edited
/etc/fstab to auto mount, so that works fine, it's there and it auto mounts
fine. The problem is i can not run executable's from this new
partition.

i have changed the user and groups (chmod, chown) to the necessary settings.
/etc/mtab reads:
/dev/hdb12 /mnt/newhome ext2 rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
which i think is telling me the problem with 'noexec',... can i just change
this to 'exec' or rwx, what about nosuid and nodev? what should this look
like so i can run execuatable from my new partition?
I did export the new (/mnt/newhome/) path into .bashrc but that was not the
problem. (when i first edited /etc/mtab i put /dev/hdb12 / mnt/newhome ext2
rw 00)

thanks -