Re: /etc/mtab - non-executable directory

Subject: Re: /etc/mtab - non-executable directory
From: Ken Schweigert (ken@byte-productions.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 12:16:55 MST

David,

The only file you need to edit is /etc/fstab. Don't edit /etc/mtab. Any
changes to /etc/mtab will be lost the next time the OS reboots.

The 'mount' manpage describes noexec/exec/nosuid better than I can. Generally,
most users can get away with having 'defaults' as their options section.
Do a 'man mount' and skip down to the options section and look at what
'defaults' provides. If that sounds like it'll work for you, edit /etc/fstab
and replace "rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev" with "defaults".

--
-Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 12:53:59PM -0500, david wright wrote: > i created a new partition (and made a directory, mnt/newhome/) and edited > /etc/fstab to auto mount, so that works fine, it's there and it auto mounts > fine. The problem is i can not run executable's from this new > partition. > > i have changed the user and groups (chmod, chown) to the necessary settings. > /etc/mtab reads: > /dev/hdb12 /mnt/newhome ext2 rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0 > which i think is telling me the problem with 'noexec',... can i just change > this to 'exec' or rwx, what about nosuid and nodev? what should this look > like so i can run execuatable from my new partition? > I did export the new (/mnt/newhome/) path into .bashrc but that was not the > problem. (when i first edited /etc/mtab i put /dev/hdb12 / mnt/newhome ext2 > rw 00) > > thanks - > >