Re: /etc/mtab - non-executable directory - problems

Subject: Re: /etc/mtab - non-executable directory - problems
From: david wright (dwright5@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 21:20:36 MST

you wrote:

"Do a 'man mount' and skip down to the options section and look at what
'defaults' provides. If that sounds like it'll work for you, edit /etc/fstab
and replace "rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev" with "defaults".,,"

-Ken Schweigert

Ken, thanks, that was excellent. Unfortunetly, i am having additional
problems with this 'moving /home' process. I created the new mnt/ point and
directory etc, i moved '/home' there (of course i kept a backup on / but
changed the name to /home_orig) well, when i rebooted and tried to log in as
my normal usr, the kernel couldn't find my info in $HOME (because it didn't
exist) so i couldn't log in as usr only 'root'. I probably should have
forseen this, i guess i have to tell the kernel where to find $HOME but i
can't find where '/etc/profiles'? (i know it has to be before /home/.bash*
etc, but where?) I know i could set it while i'm in 'set HOME=/mnt/home
export HOME' or something like that but it's not permanent. What did i miss?
(that was a moment i didn't need to have,...) ouch,.. thanks : - )