Re: telnet login and ftp too slow (also: DNS issues)

Subject: Re: telnet login and ftp too slow (also: DNS issues)
From: Zeke Runyon (zrunyon@mac.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 13:40:29 MST

On Monday, January 21, 2002, at 10:19 PM, Bill Thompson wrote:

> I have seen this happen with other Linux servers where DNS lookups are
> failing. The server preforms a reverse DNS lookup on the client to
> verify
> the connection. If there is no DNS server or the workstations has no DNS
> entry it could take several minutes for the lookup to time out. If you
> do
> not have a DNS server for your LAN you can make DNS entries for your
> workstations in the /etc/hosts file of the server.

So... add the machines on my LAN to the /etc/hosts file on the linux
box? This might solve the connections I make to the server from within
my LAN, but this same problem seems to occur when I connect from outside
the LAN, from another network or the internet.

I don't have any DNS servers... I've had tons of problems that would be
solved if I had a DNS server. I have a spare 7200. If I installed YDL, I
could configure it as a DNS server, right? What kindof things would be
configured? What is the purpose of a typical DNS server on a LAN?

This timeout thing could've been caused by my misconfiguration of the
network settings when I set everything up using the
/usr/lib/yi/network.py script. I just put in bogus IPs (like
192.168.2.1) for the DNS server entries becuase I had none, and the
script wouldn't let me get by without filling these fields. Can I
configure the network settings on the machine without entering a DNS
server?

Can I do what I want without a DNS server??? For a domain name, I'm
using gloin.dyn.dhs.org, a domain name provided by the free DHS.org. Can
I/should I/am I allowed to use their domain name servers? How???

This domain stuff is making me verrrrrrrryyyy confused!?!?! Help!

                            ##
# Zeke Runyon, zrunyon@mac.com
# web: communistsquirrel.home.dhs.org (formerly zekeworld)
# Mac OS X 10.1.2 5P48 | OS 9.2.1 | Yellow Dog Linux 2.1
# Communist squirrels shall rule the world.