Re: telnet login and ftp too slow (also: DNS issues)

Subject: Re: telnet login and ftp too slow (also: DNS issues)
From: Bill Thompson (Billt@Mahagonny.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 14:07:25 MST

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:40:29 -0500
Zeke Runyon <zrunyon@mac.com> wrote:

> On Monday, January 21, 2002, at 10:19 PM, Bill Thompson wrote:
>
> > I have seen this happen with other Linux servers where DNS lookups are
> > failing. The server preforms a reverse DNS lookup on the client to
> > verify
> > the connection. If there is no DNS server or the workstations has no
> > DNS entry it could take several minutes for the lookup to time out. If
> > you do
> > not have a DNS server for your LAN you can make DNS entries for your
> > workstations in the /etc/hosts file of the server.
>
> So... add the machines on my LAN to the /etc/hosts file on the linux
> box? This might solve the connections I make to the server from within
> my LAN, but this same problem seems to occur when I connect from outside
> the LAN, from another network or the internet.
>
> I don't have any DNS servers... I've had tons of problems that would be
> solved if I had a DNS server. I have a spare 7200. If I installed YDL, I
> could configure it as a DNS server, right? What kindof things would be
> configured? What is the purpose of a typical DNS server on a LAN?
>
> This timeout thing could've been caused by my misconfiguration of the
> network settings when I set everything up using the
> /usr/lib/yi/network.py script. I just put in bogus IPs (like
> 192.168.2.1) for the DNS server entries becuase I had none, and the
> script wouldn't let me get by without filling these fields. Can I
> configure the network settings on the machine without entering a DNS
> server?
>
> Can I do what I want without a DNS server??? For a domain name, I'm
> using gloin.dyn.dhs.org, a domain name provided by the free DHS.org. Can
> I/should I/am I allowed to use their domain name servers? How???
>
> This domain stuff is making me verrrrrrrryyyy confused!?!?! Help!

Welcome to the club ;)

First of all, you need to set your 7200 with an Internet DNS server it can
use for lookups. This is most likely why connections from outside your LAN
are timing out. You can use your ISP's DNS server addresses. Once that is
in place your server will be able to do a reverse DNS lookup for
connections outside of your LAN.

Second, add the machines on your LAN to the /etc/hosts file of the server.
This will get rid of the problem temporarily without having to add a DNS
server to your LAN or worry about having DNS entries created for you on
another server.

Third, get "DNS and Bind" by O'Reilly and Associates
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/). This will answer all of your DNS
related questions like "What's it do" and "Why do I need it". You can
probably find a previous edition in a used book store that will do just as
well as the most current.

--
BillT@Mahagonny.com - PGP KeyID#: 0xFB966670

"Crappy old OSes have value in the basically negative sense that changing to new ones makes us wish we'd never been born." -Neal Stephenson 1999