Re: Wallstreet screensaver lockup, revisited

Subject: Re: Wallstreet screensaver lockup, revisited
From: Jonathan Ennis-King (Jonathan.Ennis-King@csiro.au)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 15:41:56 MST

>>About five weeks ago, Bryan.Walls@msfc.nasa.gov wrote:
>>
>>>I'm running YDL 2.1 on my Wallstreet. Most everything works great. However,
>>>if I'm running X and leave it on for several hours, I can't get it to wake
>>>from screen saver. I'm using the default screensaver, so there's normally
>>>something visually bouncing around on the screen. However, hitting keys or
>>>trackpad doesn't wake it up. I have to either telnet in and reboot, or give
>>>a 3-fingered salute.
>>>
>>>Anyone seen this? Advice?
>>

>>I've just discovered I'm having the exact same problem:
>>Wallstreet 233
>>YDL 2.1 standard Developer Workstation install
>>yet to change much of anything, such as window managers,
>>screensavers, or configure such basics as ppp or sound.
>>
>>Let the screen saver go for a few minutes or an hour, and it's
>>fine. Let it go long enough to eat dinner and watch a movie...can't
>>get out.
>>
>>(It's comforting, at least, that NASA is having the same problem... ;-) )
>>
>>Did anyone (Bryan?) ever find a solution to this? None ever came
>>out of the ensuing discussion in the thread, with the exception of
>>turning off the screensaver, which elicited some contention. And,
>>come to think of it, I wouldn't know just where to do even that...
>>
>>Any help would naturally be much appreciated...
>>
>>--Andrew "getting all the learning experience I bargained for and
>>then some" Stout
>
>I have two similar machines here that are doing the same thing.
>Turning off the
>screensaver did not fix it. I had to disable pmud from chkconfig
>and that seemed to stop it....so far, AFIK

I experienced a similar lock-up problem, and as observed on previous
mailings, this seemed to be triggered by specific screensavers (e.g.
the Open GL ones). The solution (at least using GNOME) was to choose
a suitable "safe" screensaver rather than the default random
screensaver, which sooner or later would choose a screensaver that
would cause the lock-up. From the GNOME desktop this can be done from
the GNOME control center under Desktop and Screensaver. I'm sure KDE
allows similar customization.

--
Jonathan Ennis-King

ph: +61-3-9259 6836 fax: +61-3-9259 6900

email: j.ennis-king@dpr.csiro.au ------------------------------