Re: Darwin-->Linux, Linux-->Darwin

Subject: Re: Darwin-->Linux, Linux-->Darwin
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 07:41:23 MST

on 1/22/02 2:33 PM, wtaggar at wtaggar@mail.uark.edu wrote:

> So, my question is, how do I get my Darwin terminal to see, read,
> and write to my linux partition?

You don't. There is currently no support for the ext2 file system (which
Linux uses) in Darwin. And the HFS+ utilities do not allow write access from
Linux to HFS+. I searched long and hard for a solution to this and found
nothing simple.

There are two complex things you can do to transfer files.

One is to make an HFS partition on your disk (or use some other drive) that
you could use for transferring files between separate boots of Linux and
OSX. Mount the HFS partition/disk in Linux, copy the files to HFS
disk/partion, reboot under OSX, copy files from the HFS partition/disk to
OSX.

The other is to set up MacOnLinux (http://www.turbolinux.com/~brad/mol/#mol)
to boot OS9 from Linux and use an FTP client on the OS9 side to get stuff
from the Linux side. Then you can boot back into OSX and use the files.

Of course if anyone knows a simpler way then I'll be happy to hear it.

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com