Re: Webmin does not work

Subject: Re: Webmin does not work
From: Keary Suska (hierophant@pcisys.net)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 11:17:02 MST

on 1/23/02 12:07 AM, cbsled@ncia.net purportedly said:

> I am still clueless on the subject after spending the last three hours R'ing
> every F'ing M I could find. They all say the same thing...
>
> 1)install the rpm.
> 2)log in to localhost...:10000/
>
> I've installed webmin under 4 different os's, on three different machines. Two
> versions of YDL, and two RH PC's. It has done the same thing every time, which
> is absolutely nothing. The browser is invariably unable to connect. This must
> be so basic of a mistake that no one even bothers to mention it. At the same
> time, if there are some prerequisites, why are they never mentioned? I've
> tried every permutation of localhost that I can think of, {hostname},
> $HOSTNAME, IP address, you name it. The result is always the same. It also
> fails to work between two networked machines that I am quite sure can see each
> other.
>
> What am I missing???

Perhaps nothing. Since documentation writers are often also the software
authors, they can omit the obvious. Because software is installed, doesn't
mean that it is running. Troubleshooting tips:

1) learn what the RPM installed: rom -ql rpm_name
2) Determine from this whether the software runs as a daemon or through
inetd/xinetd: if a file was placed in init.d/ somewhere under /etc, it runs
as daemon.
3) If it runs as daemon, ps -aux to see if the daemon is running. If it
isn't, launch it by its init script ($ script_name start). ps -aux to see if
it is running. If not, check your log files for error entries (or the log
file for the program itself if that is how it logs).
4) Otherwise, check your inetd/xinetd configuration for the webmin entry: if
it is there, installation was successful. Run netstat -lp (as root) to see
if anything, and who, is listening on port 1000. If nothing, HUP inetd or
restart xinetd, as the case may be, and try again.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.