Re: /etc/mtab - non-executable directory - problems

Subject: Re: /etc/mtab - non-executable directory - problems
From: david wright (dwright5@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 16:55:08 MST

-ken schweigert wrote:
"Can you post the contents of your /etc/fstab file?,...
You should be able to add an entry for /home to point to your hdbX partition
and reboot."

as of right now this is it, i am in the process of making /dev/hda14 for
'/var', but need to back up system before i 'mess with "parted"' (i don't
have any ext2 commpatible storage space yet.)

/dev/hda13 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda12 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb12 /mnt/newhome ext2 defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0
0

i checked 'man mount' and found since linux 2.4.0 it's possible to remount
part of the file jierarcy somewhere else (which sounded like what i wanted)
mount --bind olddir newdir. i used this command to move /home to /dev/hdb12/
 /mnt/home but it either isn't permanent or, i goofed,... when i rebooted
that's when it couldn't find my home dir or any of my user info, that's why i
thought i would have to tell the kernel where to look, since it's use to
looking at /home,... isnt' that set in /etc/bashrc.