Re: trouble with OS X and YDL2.1

Subject: Re: trouble with OS X and YDL2.1
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 16:01:57 MST

At 3:46 PM -0600 1/24/02, Gordon Neault wrote:
>Well, maybe someone familiar with OSX and UFS can field this one for sure,
>but it appears to me that you have 3 Linux bootstrap partitions (the small
>partition that YDL uses to boot linux, which has yaboot, etc on it). The
>partition at hda13 is correctly named and SHOULD be the actual bootstrap,
>but I am suspicous of the ones at hda9 and hda10. Maybe wait and see if
>anyone out there with UFS/OSX can confirm this.

Those two are partitions OS X creates if you install it on UFS. I
think the issue is that some/all versions of Open Firmware do not
understand UFS, so they have to load their bootstrap code from a
different partition.

AFAIK you should be able to set up yaboot.conf so that ybin installs
a boot menu that can select OS X on UFS. No experience with it
though, as I've always used HFS+ for OS X. Perhaps you have to give
it the partition number of one of the bootstrap partitions.

OS X does not work well on UFS; it's a good idea to use HFS+ instead.
I think it's a stale code issue, Apple probably doesn't test a lot on
UFS because they expect the vast majority of OS X users to use HFS+.

--
Tim Seufert