Re: ADSl stragegy?

Subject: Re: ADSl stragegy?
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 05:06:32 MST

Hi Ake,

Answering your question depends on how the ADSL is supplied. For example,
here in the UK, BT supplies home ADSL using the Alcatel speedtouch modem
that connects to the Linux box over USB. It also has a business ADSL
service that terminates on a multiplexor and has an Ethernet interface.
There is an official Alcatel driver and also an OpenSource driver for the
USB modem (baiscally, DSL is based on ATM hence there is a need for a PPP
over ATM driver on the Linux box).

At the time that I got ADSL, there was no support for the USB modem in
Linux - hence I bought the (expensive) business service. Connecting this
to Linux is extremely easy. I got an additional Ethernet card and used it
to connect to the router supplied by the carrier. All you need then is a
couple of interface configuration commands and you're up and running.

Unfortunately I don't have static IP addressing and the access device
blocks all incoming connections - which severely limits what you can
achieve! If you want to use a secure VPN client to connect to an office
network you would probably encounter some difficulties with this degree of
firewalling. If you do get a static IP address then it may be a good idea
to use the iptables firewall setup on your Linux box. Following reports
from someone on the list, I tried gShield (well, I hope to get a static IP
address eventually) and this seemed pretty straightforward to install.

Regards,

  Iain

--On Saturday, January 26, 2002 08:37:16 +0200 Åke Svensson