Re: ADSl stragegy?

Subject: Re: ADSl stragegy?
From: Rúni H.Hansen (runi.hansen@okkara.net)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 07:02:42 MST

Hi, guys, and "tjena Ĺke".

I have used Telia's ADSL for a year or two. I did started out with ADSL but
ISDN from my previus job. But because I wanted a local net at home, I needed
som protections between the externel and internel. So I configured a old 486
running Slackware as a firewall, the reason I used slackware was I think it
is a easy distributions to configure. But YellowDog will do fine ;o)

I have configure other firewall up to, and it isent that difficult if you
know the basic how a networks works....

As I said before I was using Telia's adsl, Telia is ok, but! you dont get a
static IP, and you will loose your IP if you dont have your firewall upp and
running all the time, then your connection will be deactivated and you need
to enter telia's logon site to activate it again so you have to remember the
login and password!

Some of my Friends have got BoNet, they say it is a faster download on BoNet
and you will get a Static IP. And you dont have to activate the you'r
"router" all the time. Maybe that is the way to go. But I dont know how
stable BoNet is right now, but you can check it out.

A good site to learn about firewalls and the new IPtables that kernel 2.4 is
http://www.linuxguruz.org/iptables/

Maby you can use this somehow, and good luck :o)

Best Regards
Rúni H.Hansen

ps. Okkara meens "our" on Faroese ;o)