X instability... will it end on 4.2?

Subject: X instability... will it end on 4.2?
From: Cesar Cardoso (cesarcardoso@skydome.net)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 07:32:34 MST

I have a PowerMac 5500/250 with 128MB RAM and a USB PCI adapter.
I had to recompile my kernel (I used Ben's 2.4.18-pre7) because my USB
Pen Drive isn't supportedon the YDL's original 2.4.10 kernel.
When I reboot to the new kernel... X becomes unstable. When I try to get
my mail via fetchmail, or run Evolution, or even run gkrellm... I fall on
xmon, and after a "x" to try to go out, the system freezes.
That happened in the original stock kernel, but only in situations of a
bit more load, but now becomes impossible to work in X.

Maybe XF86 4.2 will remedy this? I'm not willing to go back to 2.4.10.
Thanks in advance!

--
- Cesar
"Mané inside"