Re: Install Woes - Please Help

Subject: Re: Install Woes - Please Help
From: Doug Philips (dgou@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 20:57:55 MST

>From: Joe Villari <joev_nylxs@pipeline.com>

>>Has been posted to this list a few times already this week:
>>as root: echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media
>>
>>You should then be able to mount it just fine.
>>I'm writing you from a TiBook 400Mhz that triple boots OS9, OSX, and
>>YDL2.1

>You missed my problem. I can load the YDL 2.1 from the cd. It's after
>that while trying to upgrade the kernel and get X to work. Maybe the
>first generation TIs are more forgiving?

You said: I cannot mount the cdrom at all. mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom
/mnt/cdrom, mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom or any other fs
returns a wrong medium type error; no matter what cd is in the drive.

Annoyingly, everytime the TIBook (even the early ones) boots, check_media
needs to be "fixed."
I guess I missed the part about how you managed to get the kernel you need
onto a CD. As for the HFS hard disk issue, I can't help with that.

I hope you can work it out. I've been very happy with YDL, but unfortunately
Linux is going through the hardware support crap that Windows was a few
years ago...

-Doug