Newbie needs help with mysql

Subject: Newbie needs help with mysql
From: Richard Hood (rhood@rcn.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 12:24:08 MST

I would appreciate some hand-holding with mysql on YDL 2.1. I have
initialized the Data Directory. When I run safe_mysqld--either as
root or user--the server runs briefly and then abruptly ends. I have
read the mysql.com documentation and searched the yellowdog
discussion group archives but not much luck finding a solution.

If you have been successful installing mysql on YDL, a blow-by-blow
account of your install would be very helpful.

thanks,

richard