Re: Strange date problem

Subject: Re: Strange date problem
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 17:43:26 MST

At 5:51 PM +0100 1/27/02, Chris Boot wrote:

>Not exactly. The way I see it is that every Mac is either CUDA based
>(OldWorld: beige & black Macs) or PMU based (NewWorld: colorful Macs).

No, that's not a valid split. Originally the distinction was PMU for
PowerBooks, Cuda for desktops. There are plenty of old world
PowerBooks with PMUs.

In the New World era Apple just started calling it the PMU regardless
of whether the machine is a portable or not. It always was basically
the same hardware anyways -- a customized version of Motorola's
68HC05 microcontroller. (Newer machines have PMU99 which I hear is
not a 68HC05 any more.)

--
Tim Seufert