re: YDL install w/ multiple drives....

Subject: re: YDL install w/ multiple drives....
From: C.L. Simco (clsimco@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 20:06:47 MST

Hi all, and thanks in advance for your time,

After a lot of reading, since the last time I posted
a Q here, (about a month ago) I have made a lot of
changes to my system configuration. I have learned a
lot from you who helped me, and from my stack of
books, and the archives, and now feel pretty dumb;-)
but more determined to understand YDL. Thank You!

CURRENT CONFIGURATION:

B+W G3 300 Rev 1, 704 MB RAM
Mac OS 9.1 + YDL installed on 6 Gig Quantum ATA HD
@ motherboard (ATA1 ID=0) 2 partitions= 3 gig+3 gig
(recommended single drive installation)
----------
3 other drives on an internal Sonnetech PCI host card
Various size drives/ OS's/ purposes

CURRENT SITUATION/ PROGRESS

* MOL configured and working in "window" mode as #USR
     (needs tweeking later)
* Epson Stylus Color 740 prints a test page as #ROOT
* Modem detected/ identified as #ROOT (see problem below)
* Ability to start in a YDL dual boot(+ CD option) mode
  OR... boot from one of the other Mac OS HD's then
  later return to YDL boot options (using:
  cd-linux root=..... Then run "yaboot.conf")
* Some YDL system sound operation (sound drivers recognized)
  as #ROOT + #USR in KDE and GNOME (see problem below)
* Not yet started to get CD working/ recognized

!!!! PROBLEM !!!

In experimenting w/ configuring the KDE and Gnome desktop
environments to get system sounds/ alerts I have encountered
some rather troubling "startup issues". The first instance
appeared after "turning on" various sound options in KDE
Kmenu/Preferences/... Then restarting... encountering an:
"ERROR: Sound server fatal error: CPU overload, aborting"

The second instance occurred similar to the above in GNOME,
However in addition, all text in menus and everywhere
in the GNOME environment appeared as "boxes" not text.
Upon restarting reentering GNOME there is still no legible
text. In KDE there are now several sound related error messages
at startup, after noting them and closing them, there are system
sounds and then sound ceases.

Also, running the internet wizard in KDE and GNOME to detect
the modem as #USR causes an entire system FREEZE. The only way out
is a programmers button restart as all keyboard and mouse activity
is frozen. This is accompanied by the appearance of a section of the
top of the screen converting to what seems to be a sliver of the
black startup process, or a console, containing process info and a
flashing prompt, however as stated above, I cannot input ANYTHING.
I have written down all of the error message text and info plus the
KNotify info that I could. KNotify info was LONG so I tried to save it
in a a text file, however no success (BUG in KDE is the short of it).

??? QUESTIONS ???

Are these things recoverable/ fixable? Should I concentrate on getting
devices working before system sound? Should I NOT use the "wizard"
to detect modem (it did so correctly as #USR before freezing) or, instead
configure another way? At this point I cannot make head or tail of
navigation in GNOME because of the text problem, is that also fixable?
OR.... would a reinstall of YDL and another approach to configuration
be a better solution?

Thanks again for your consideration and help.

Regards

C.L. (pissing on the electric fence here ;-))

THE WISDOM OF WILL ROGERS
"There are three kinds of men. The one that
learns by reading. The few who learn by
observation. The rest of them have to pee
on the electric fence for themselves."