Re: yellowdog-general Digest 28 Jan 2002 12:31:30 -0000 Issue 664

Subject: Re: yellowdog-general Digest 28 Jan 2002 12:31:30 -0000 Issue 664
ShaneHale7@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 10:56:15 MST

In a message dated 1/28/02 4:17:57 AM,
yellowdog-general-digest-help@lists.yellowdoglinux.com writes:

Usually it is one of configuration and running Xautoconfig.4 will get you
out of your problem. You must be 'root' ... and I think I have that name
right Xautoconfig.4. Just check that it is on your hard disk ... use mc
(midnight commander) to find the executable file.

Shane, I am assuming you can log into your linux as a text user ... with a
command line interface. Is this so? That usually works ... and I default
to that UNTIL I am satisfied that X works for me. Defaulting to X leads to
much frustration!

More details about your machine please...

You need at least 64 Meg of RAM to run a linux. What sort of
monitor/display are you using?

Richard >>

Thanks for responding to my inquiry. I have sense order the Geeting started
with YDL book from Terrasoft. Hopefully this will prove to useful.

I am running only 48 Megabites of Ram. This may be the problem, however it
look to be running smooth so far. I will be picking up some shortly (just
ordered 256 for OWC. I have virtual memory turned on, but doubt its on with
YDL running.

As for Hard Drive space, I have a 1 gig, hosting my OS9.1 installation and a
2Gig holding the YDL particians. (Boot 10mb, Swap 256, General 1744mb)

I do and can log-in through the text interface, however it does try to
default to xFree86 and fails. I can't seem to access the root director for
some reason either.

The monitor I have is a OLD VGA Shamrock 14in.

Shane Hale