Re: Reset video options?

Subject: Re: Reset video options?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 19:03:15 MST

At 6:40 PM -0800 1/28/02, Mark Jaffe wrote:
>Hi, all. I had a puzzling session this morning installing YDL 2.1 to a B&W
>G3 I just inherited from my Dad who gave up on it for MacOS and decided to
>go with a G4. At any rate, I booted from the install CD with a spare
>monitor I had which is an old fixed-frequency 14" (640x480) which I have
>used very well attached to the 8500 I have previously been working on.
>When the initial boot messages displayed, all looked well until the
>screen went bazonkers and became unreadable. So then I hooked up my Apple
>17" multi-synch and used that to install with. But now I am afraid when I
>take the machine over to the Co-Lo where it will be living, that
>attaching a generic VGA terminal will result in the same unreadable
>screen. What will be my solution here? Why cannot I see a display using
>the fixed 14" monitor?

No doubt because the driver for the Rage 128 (or whatever) video chip
in the B&W G3 sets video mode timings that are incompatible with your
fixed frequency monitor.

Most generic VGA monitors should be multisync unless they're REALLY
old. So it seems unlikely to be a real problem in the machine's
final environment.

--
Tim Seufert