Can't get secondary NIC up

Subject: Can't get secondary NIC up
From: Keary Suska (hierophant@pcisys.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 21:07:38 MST

I recently installed a new NIC (Asante fast 10/100, which the system
identifies as Linksys), but the system will only bring up the *new* card
(identified as eth0), and not the built-in ethernet (eth1), using DHCP.

I was able to determine that I can bring eth1 up only if I have tcpdump
running (something to do with promiscuous mode, I suspect), and only using
netcfg. pump won't work at all. I thought I saw someone else with a similar
problem--does anyone know what is happening?

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.