YDL 2.1 running on tiBook - Airport Card working, etc.

Subject: YDL 2.1 running on tiBook - Airport Card working, etc.
From: Robert Angell (Bob.Angell@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 08:56:31 MST

Folks,

Got Yellow Dog Linux 2.1 installed on my tiBook 400 using the airport card
inside, etc.
There are a few gotchas, if you are thinking about doing this, that if not
heeded,
will bite you in the butt!

First off, I am running MacOS 9 / MacOSX / YDL 2.1 on the same harddisk. I
first
partitioned this drive using Drive Setup and partitioned as follows:

      MacOS9 First partition 5G used Drive Setup to make
this
      FreeSpace Second partition 8G " " "
      MacOSX Third partition 23G " " "

I then installed OSX on the 3rd partition and OS9 on the first. I then
installed YDL 2.1
last on the FreeSpace (this will not clobber the ybin boot partition)
partitioning in this
order as follows:

      10MB Boot
      256MB Swap
      Remainder Linux

One thing to note here, is you MUST FIX THE CDROM BUG before you can get
to the above step by issueing the following from an alternate session by
typing
in the key commands and holding them down (in this order) as follows:

      <Option><Cntl><fn><F2>

you should now be at the prompt that looks like this:

Fuji>

Then at this prompt, issue the command as follows (this fixes the "cant
mount
CDROM bug" (from "Keith E. Laidig" on the General Mailing list)
(http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/breakdown/powerbook.shtml)

Fuji> echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media

This will tell the installer that the CDROM is not already mounted. You
can check
this by issueing the command as follows:

Fuji> cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media

should yield the answer 0.

To get back to the graphical installation, issue the key commands as
follows:

      <Option><Cntl><fn><F1>

Once all of this takes place and you answer all the questions
appropriately, then
you are all set.

Also, you might want to install this while the machine is physically
connected to your
LAN. I had a much easier time getting all of the DNS and routing working
by setting
up eth0 (your internal, built in Ethernet) and then moving this over to the
airport
configuration.

Now, login as a user other than root.

Open a terminal window and issue the commands as follows:

bash> su - root

Then give the root password. Once you are at a # prompt, then you can move
forward
with the airport installation as follows:

      cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
      cp ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-eth1
      pico ifcfg-eth1 (make sure you change the DEVICE= statement to
reflect eth1)
      rpm -qi wireless tools (this will make sure the wireless package is
installed)
      /sbin/modprobe airport
      /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop
      /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

      to make sure your new network configuration works, issue the command
as follows:
      #> /sbin/iwconfig

You should see something like this:

      ----------------------------
lo no wireless extensions

eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"tsunami" Nickname:"HERMES I"
        Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412GHz Acess Point:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn
        Bit Rate:11Mb/s Tx-Power=15dBm Sensitivity:1/3
        Retry Limit:4 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
        Power Management:off
        Link Quality:nn/nn Signal Level:nn/nnn Noise Level:nn/nnn
        Rx invalid nwid:nn invalid crypt:nn invalid misc:nn
----------------------------

Next thing, unplug the cable from the eth0 and test to see if eth1 works by
opening up a browser.

You then want to edit the ifcfg-eth0 file to have the eth0 NOT boot up
automatically. This kept
biting me in the backside!

Please see the URL for further more indepth details about what all this
means as follows:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/airport24.shtml

I hope this helps someone else trying to do this. If you have any
questions, shoot me
off a note.

-Bob-

Bob Angell
Technical Solution Manager - IBM Global Services
1238 Fenway Ave., SLC, Ut 84102-3212
v/f: 801-328-6157 (t/l 582); cell/pager: 801-381-5477
email page < 140 char: mailto:8013815477@page.nextel.com;
http://messaging.nextel.com/cgi/mPageExt.dll?buildIndAddressPage&entry=1
regular email: angellr@us.ibm.com

[ mailto:angellr@us.ibm.com ] [
http://w3.ibm.com/bluepages?Selection=Name&selectOn=angell%2Cbob ]
"Had Momma Cass & Karen Carpenter shared that ham sandwich, they might be
with us today!"