Re: Installation for a Mac G3/Beige with LinuxPPC already loaded

Subject: Re: Installation for a Mac G3/Beige with LinuxPPC already loaded
From: Bo Brinkman (brinkman@cs.princeton.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 09:37:03 MST

The YDL page says that the Beige G3 uses BootX, not yaboot. See
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/guide2.1.shtml. If
the boot loader looks like a GUI, not just a black screen with some
text, then that is BootX, not yaboot. 2.1 has a BootX based installer on
the CD which you should be able to use. This will require you keep MacOS
in order to run the boot loader. But I agree with Gordon, having a copy
of the MacOS that you can install from (esp when things go wrong!) is
very important. Maybe you could even find an old MacOS CD from a friend
or on ebay?

--
William "Bo" Brinkman                         brinkman@cs.princeton.edu
Princeton Computer Science                 http://www.derandomized.org/