Re: Boot Problem on 6100

Subject: Re: Boot Problem on 6100
From: Bo Brinkman (brinkman@cs.princeton.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 10:50:25 MST

>>My 6100/60 has YDL 2.0, base install plus dev packages and the X
>>libraries needed to run X apps remotely over ssh (but not KDE or gnome
>>or the actual X server), and that takes about 300 megs.
>>

> Oooh, I've been dying to get linux running on my 6100/60. How difficult
> was it to get YDL 2.0 installed? Are you running a 2.4 kernel?

See my install guide at
http://nubus.tuxppc.org/plain_page.php?caller=powermaclinux.php3+record=77
Replacing the instructions with the 2.0 CD instead of the 1.2.1 CD will
get you going with 2.0.

The only kernels that are available right now are 2.4.6-pre3, but it
works pretty well. My web server (www.derandomized.org) is actually
running on a 7100/80 with YDL 2.0. Right now I'm yup updating to 2.1,
though the tmpwatch update is broken, so you have to manually install
that first.

Also note that the 2.0 and 2.1 CDs won't be recognized by MacOS 7.5 or
8.0, but this doesn't matter, because when you boot into the installer,
things go pretty smoothly. Also, I don't see an installer for YDL 2.1 at
the nubus-pmac site, so probably you will have to install 2.0 and then
yup update if you want 2.1.

--
William "Bo" Brinkman                         brinkman@cs.princeton.edu
Princeton Computer Science                 http://www.derandomized.org/