Yup problems solved

Subject: Yup problems solved
From: Walls, Bryan (Bryan.Walls@msfc.nasa.gov)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 18:34:45 MST

 I was experiencing yup failures trying to do a "yup update" on 3 different
machines here.

I tried "yup clean all". That didn't help.

The failure was something along the lines of a traceback saying that it
couldn't complete the script. There was a list of 8-10 packages.

I was able to yup update all of the packages separately, except two:
freetype and tmpwatch. They were always causing the crash.

I tried changing from the main yellowdog server to another. The other server
I tried didn't have the new packages yet, apparently, and said I didn't need
an update.

Went to the yellowdog site and downloaded the updated packages from
ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/updates/yellowdog-2.1/ppc/
Downloaded the latest freetype and tmpwatch packages to my /tmp directory.

Changed to tmp (cd /tmp).

Did "rpm -U freetype*"
worked fine.

Did "rpm -U tmpwatch*"
which failed, saying a later package was already installed! This seems to be
an error with where the dots and dashes are in the names. I suspect this was
killing the yup script.

Did "rpm -U --force tmpwatch*"
which worked.

Now "yup update" returned "Nothing to do..."

Copied packages to other machines and repeated process for yup-happy
machines.

I may have successfully update freetype on one machine without the failure
(using yup) -- not quite sure. However, I had to force
tmpwatch-2.8.1-1.ppc.rpm on all machines.