Re: helix-gnome

Subject: Re: helix-gnome
From: John L Grantham (john@grantham.com)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 13:38:59 MDT

At 12:03 pm -0700 2/7/00, Ryan Griffith wrote:
>Has anyone tried installing helix gnome from the disks? I follow the
>directions on the inside of the cd case and every time I try to install
>it I get the error: "application ./installer-latest-ppc has crashed due
>to fatal error (segmentation fault)." Any ideas?

I had a lot of trouble with the installer as well, on several
different machines. Your best bet is just to mount the CD and "rpm
-Uvh --force --nodeps *.rpm". That's how I ended up doing it.

If you changed the file /etc/redhat-release, which contains the
startup greeting on the shell login, that may be the cause of your
trouble -- that's how the installer seems to identify what system
you're running. I noticed that the machines where I had edited that
file had trouble with the installer (though one computer, an iMac DV,
that had an "original" file didn't work either -- there seems to be
more than one problem).

cya

John

--