non-root user startx problem

Subject: non-root user startx problem
From: Sam Moore (samiwas@macconnect.com)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 13:51:51 MDT

Hi folks. This is probably real simple, but here goes...
After upgrading to CS 1.2, I can't startx as anybody but root any more.
I've read the instructions at
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jonh/lppc-serve/cache/69.html
which refer to "Xpmac-6.3" or "Xpmac-6.1"
I don't have either of these at /usr/bin/X11, just a binary called "Xpmac"
(actually it lives in /usr/X11R6/bin/, with a link back to /usr/bin). I've set
permissions on this binary to 4511 as instructed, so that the owner "root" has
read and exec privileges, and the group "users" and "others" have exec
privileges only. SetUID is on.
Nonetheless, when I try to startx as anyone but root I get:

Authentication failed - cannot start X server
Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
::long pause::
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Any clues appreciated.
thanks

Sam Moore <smoo@lungta.org>
dba Windhorse Studio * Maps & Information Design

Personal: http://www.lungta.org (not ready yet)
For the clan: http://smhtf.lungta.org
Work: http://www.ewcreative.com

"Good and bad, happy and sad, all thoughts vanish into
emptiness like the imprint of a bird in the sky."