Re:- £ sign in YD CS 1.2

Subject: Re:- £ sign in YD CS 1.2
From: Ted (ted@mailin.appleonline.net)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 14:56:03 MDT

        I've run Linux on PCs for a number of years, but I am new to
running Linux on the Mac. In fact I'm new to Macs full stop!
        I have successfully set up Yellow Dog Champion Server 1.2 on
a G4 PowerMac, and I can boot into MacOS 9, or into YD Linux.
Howerver, there are one or two things that I would like help with.
        There only seems to be an American keyboard. This does not
matter too much, the keys are identical to the United Kingdom
keyboard, but there is no key for the £ sign. Does any one know how
I can type £ signs in Yellow Dog Linux?
        Also, I've installed a number of distributions of Linux on
PCs, and I have usually been able to configure X by using XF86Setup
or Xconfigurator. In YD 1.2 the Xconfigurator seems to be automatic,
and runs without my being able to enter the kind of input I am used
to. I wanted to alter the default resolution of the monitor. What
seems to be happening is that somehow YD Linux picks up the monitor
resolution from the MacOS partition, because if I change the
resolution in MacOS 9, and then boot Linux, the text based console
runs at the resolution set in the MacOS, and if I rerun
Xconfigurator, it automatically changes the monitor resolution in X
to that set in the MacOS.
        The YD 1.2 installation has picked up correctly my USB
keyboard and USB mouse, which surprised me, since I did not think
that Linux supported USB yet, I did wonder what would happen. Is
there support for any other USB devices in YD Linux? I'm thinking
about a USB printer, and an USB Zip drive.
        I did not choose to install a printer during the installation
process, because the install procedure indicated that the printer
would be connected to a COMM port. Does this mean the ADB serial
ports that Macs used to have are described as COMM ports under YD
Linux? And if so, could I get a card for my G4 with serial ports on
it which would work with Linux, and so support my printer?
        Lastly, I've read the faq about 'Bootloading on New World ROM
Machines', but I can't seem to get the instruction in section 7 to
work. If I enter "setenv auto-boot = false" at the Open Firmware
prompt the computer still boots into the MacOS unless I press
'Command + Option + o +f' to evoke the Open Firmware Prompt. Is
there an error in the command? I can't seem to find any
documentation on the use of the Open Firmware prompt.
        Please forgive these newbie questions. I would greatly
appreciate comments on any of these issues.
Ted
Ted
It's all part of life's rich pageant.

Sent using AppleOnline.net, The independent Mac dedicated ISP