Re: Booting from an external drive?

Subject: Re: Booting from an external drive?
From: Douglas Burchard (burchard@nwlink.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 11:37:55 MDT

> From: Robert Fout <rfout@damien.edu>
>
>> From: Douglas Burchard <burchard@nwlink.com>
>>
>> I'm wondering if YDL could be loaded on an external hard drive and run as an
>> alternate to the existing MacOS system. Any experience in this?
>
> Installing and booting from an external hard drive will work, as long as the
> hard drive controller is supported by YDL. what kind of power mac do you
> have, and what kind of hard drive is it? are you gonna use onboard SCSI, or
> do you have a PCI SCSI card?

Thanks for the quick response! :)

We haven't done the purchasing yet, however we're looking at a G4/450. So
that would mean a PCI SCSI card. The hard drive would be whatever works for
running YDL.

So the two questions I guess come down to: Would this work with a PCI SCSI
card? And if so, what external hard drive would be recommended?

Is there a list of hard drive controllers available that I missed on the web
site?

Thanks again for any assistance.

--
Douglas Burchard