Re: Atalk problem

Subject: Re: Atalk problem
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 14:29:33 MDT

>I just installed CS 1.2 and I can't get Appletalk to start. At startup
>AppleTalk services start and get backgrounded. I know that you need to
>run modprobe appletalk and restart atalk. I have done all of that, but

IIRC, you cannot restart atalkd. Must reboot computer. Can't remember
where I read that though; however, I have found it to be the case :-)

>it says bind: Cannot assign requested address. I have also looked over
>the archives and can't find any solutions. Can anyone help?

Is your ethernet compiled as a module also by any chance? I have
found that compiling ethernet as a module requires manual insmod (you
can do it in rc.local). Loading of the ethernet driver gets deferred
during boot, then when Appletalk tries to load it gives me that exact
error. But after that, rc.local loads the ethernet module (or you do
it my hand after logging in), and atalk "just begins working." For me
:-)

HTH

Stefan Jeglinski