Re: seeking a missing file questions

Subject: Re: seeking a missing file questions
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 20:01:40 MDT

wrs@ozone.gi.alaska.edu's bits of Sat, 8 Jul 2000 translated to:

>I am trying to find a file called ld-linux.so.2 that was missing from
>trying to build an RPM and I'm wondering
>
>1) how to find it

You can look for a file using the find command. If you have no clue where
the file is, or if it is even there, you can do something like

find / -name ld.linux.so.2 -print

However, you probably aren't going to find ld-linux.so.2. For whatever
reason, the link doesn't seem to get set up in a typical YDL install.
I generally just go to /lib and create a symbolic link named
ld-linux.so.2 that points to ld-2.1.3.so. For example,

ln -s ld-2.1.3.so ld-linux.so.2

If the RPM still complains about it, you can use --nodeps to force the
install (might be necessary since the link won't be recorded in the RPM
database).

>2) in general, is there a way to know the contents of the RPMS without
>installing them?

man rpm

Read through the section on querying. In particular, take a look at the
-p option if you want to see what is in an uninstalled package file.

>3) is there a way to install more packages with the redhat installer (like
>the first install) without destroying my files and changes to existing
>packages?

Not sure I understand what you are asking, but you can always install new
packages. Whether they affect anything else on the system depends on what,
if anything, they update. rpm is reasonably good about not breaking things.
You shouldn't need to use the "installer" to add the packages. You can run
rpm from the command line and there are also a number of graphical
interfaces for installing rpm's.

Jim