X & mouse on Power Mac 4400

Subject: X & mouse on Power Mac 4400
From: Marco Schwarz (marco_schwarz@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 10:47:42 MDT

Hello,
I have some experience about Unix and Linux on Intel
and I have
installed
YDL on my father's 4400 (I am not a Mac expert,
sorry).
The problems are presently two:
-I didn't found an italian keyboard map neither in the
installation
process
nor afterwards.
-X comes up _very_ slowly and mouse movements destroy
the desktop
appearance.
I am running KDE (this came by default), but I don't
think the problem
it's
RAM; the machine has 128 Mb RAM and, even running X,
still there is a
lot
of free RAM.
The installation program detected a 2Mb graphic board
(ATI, if I'm
right)
I have tried different resolutions and color depths,
without any
improvement (on Mac OS the screen works at 800x600
with millions of
color).
Maybe the problem is related to screen refresh, but I
think it has been
properly set up in XF86Config.
I have tried the Xautoconfigurator script as suggested
on the list, but
what I get in a useless XF86Config ( X doesn't start
at all), so I went
back to my original configuration file.

What can I try ?

Many thanks