XFree 4.0 don't like 16 bit color depth...

Subject: XFree 4.0 don't like 16 bit color depth...
From: Patrick Ladam (pl@tintin.smbh.univ-paris13.fr)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 14:48:55 MDT

Hi people,

I have a Blue-White G3 first generation running YDL CS 1.2 since
a few months.
I recently upgraded the kernel to 2.2.15pre20 (From Robert Shaw)
to run XFree86 version 4.0.
Previously I had XFree86 3.3.1 installed, this version was able
to do 8, 16, 24 bit color depth with no problem thought I had to
play around to find the correct HorizSync and VertRefresh values
and throw them in /etc/X11/XF68config.

Since I installed version 4.0, Xfree86 can do 8 bit, 15 bit
and 24 bit color depth but guess what, the 24 bit depth gives
weird colors (blue background becomes clear green, yellow windows...).
And of course I need this color depth badly because I use a scientific
software that does only have an 8 bit and 16 bit driver in its code.
Running in 8 bit works but is just not satisfying for other applications.

Once again I tried to tune the HorizSync and VertRefresh values in
16 bit mode using fbset but no succes, the desktop is centered OK
on the screen but still these horrible colors...

So my guess is there might be something wrong with the colormap
when using this 16 bit mode, or something with the RGB colors that is not
set correctly, I don't know.
I confess I am running out of ideas about this, so if someone as a clue,
it would be greatly appreciated.

ThanX a lot

| Patrick LADAM                   | 				  |
| Laboratoire CSSB                |     THE BIG BANG THEORY:	  |
| UFR SMBH                        | 				  |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin            |   In the begining there was   |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX             |        nothing at all.	  |
| pl@tintin.smbh.univ-paris13.fr  |      Then, it exploded...     |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85     |				  |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77		  |				  |