RE: XFree86 4.0 is now stuck when starting x

Subject: RE: XFree86 4.0 is now stuck when starting x
From: Vanco, Donald (VANCOD@PIOS.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 06:58:04 MDT

<snip>

Did you:

Re-install Mesa as your last post said you could not verify it's presence?

Re-run the Xconfigurator tool? When you change versions of X (particularly
going to 4.0 which is _dramatically_ different) you must re-run the
configuration tool.

Back up your old X so that it can be restored if need be?

Why did you need XFree86 4.0 - doesn't the version that came with the distro
do what you want? Again, pardon my ignorance as I pay little to no
attention to the Mac stuff.....

You quite possibly will run into font issues as well......

As a rule, (particularly with Linux neophytes) "If it ain't broke (and you
don't know exactly what you're doing) don't fix it".....

Don