installing YDL: fstab e readonly filesystem

Subject: installing YDL: fstab e readonly filesystem
From: Pierluigi Ricci (pierluigi.ricci@rcs.it)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 07:09:39 MDT

Hello to all,
I'm a real beginner from Italy, and I tried to install YDL 1.2 on my
powerbook G3/500, DVD, 128mb ram.
I did the install from a partition of my hard drive because it was
unable to mount the CD (first problem, but it's history). I followed all the
steps that I found on the install manual and the instructions found at
http://modctek.com/linux_report.htm (with the kernel
vmlinux-2.2.15pre14-ben1.gz from Benjamin Herrenschmidt).

Now the problem is that: when I boot my brand new Linux, it happens that I
receive this message:

cannot open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory
the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or somehing else), then the
superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an
alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

But that's not all: my root is only read and I can't write (as root).

So I can't make the fstab file, because I can only read, and at the same
time I can't get the permission for write, because I miss that fstab file.

Please: what can I do? I'm spending all my time to make new installs. Help
me!

Bye

Pierluigi Ricci - Milano -Italy