RE: Hard Drive install question

Subject: RE: Hard Drive install question
From: Vanco, Donald (VANCOD@PIOS.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 06:59:55 MDT

        Gotta learn sometime.....

        zImage is a boot image - under a running Linux system it would
simply be a kernel in all likelihood. For the sake of this discussion
(installation) it's a bootable file & possibly some supporting files that
will allow hardware to come up (in all honesty I have not looked at this
floppy to see what it creates).

        What's been done is this - all these files have been lumped into an
image that's exactly the size of a floppy disk (as a rule - sometimes
they're smaller, obviously never larger). rawrite is a tool that allows you
to make a floppy from that image - "dd" in Linux will essentially do the
same thing.
        Hopefully, someone from the Mac world will chime in here and tell
you what that appropriate tool is - all I can tell you is that under Windoze
you'd use rawrite that is found in the /utils directory of the CD, or in
Linux you'd use "dd if=zImage of=/dev/fd0" or something like that - this
would get you the new (corrected) boot floppy you need.

        If all else fails - I can send you a copy of the CD and a corrected
boot image floppy. CMU is one of the most wired campuses in the country -
isn't there somewhere you can pull the ISO of the CD and roast a new copy?

Don