Help: Kernel upgrade caused /dev problems

Subject: Help: Kernel upgrade caused /dev problems
From: Donnell Hughes (donnell.hughes@leros.net)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 11:38:44 MDT

Hi,

I attempted to upgrade from kernel 2.2.6-16bpmac (CS 1.1) to
2.2.15-2.9.0. I obtained the following RPMS from
ftp.yellowdoglinux.com:

   kernel-2.2.15-2.9.0.ppc.rpm
   kernel-headers-2.2.15-2.9.0.ppc.rpm
   kernel-source-2.2.15-2.9.0.ppc.rpm
   kernel-pcmcia-cs-2.2.15-2.9.0.ppc.rpm
   kernel-utils-2.2.15-2.9.0.ppc.rpm

I then used the rpm -Uvh command to apply the kernel, pcmcia-cs, and
utils packages. I used rpm -i to apply the headers and source
packages. After reboot, I encountered problems with the sound devs.
For instance, if I try to use any program that needs /dev/mixer (e.g.
kmix), I encounter an error stating that the permissions may be
incorrect, as root, issue 'chmod a+rw /dev/mixer' to correct.
Although I did not see any problems with the permissions, I issued
the command anyway. Nothing changed for the better. I then used the
original CS 1.1 Installer to "upgrade" anything regarding sound in an
effort to perhaps restore correct groups and permissions if they were
indeed incorrect. Still, there was no change.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Thanks.