Re: Newbie trouble installing on a G4 (AGP)

Subject: Re: Newbie trouble installing on a G4 (AGP)
From: PjS (pschark@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 17:08:04 MDT

Hello all,
I'm a complete and utter newbie to linux, so go gentle
on my please.
Here's my problem:
I have a Sawtooth G4 AGP and I recently downloaded the
YDL CS cd images at work and burned them to CD as
files then brought them home to my mac to mount them
and burn them as regular discs. That worked fine. My
problem is with yaboot. I read and reread the install
guide and I just either missed the actual instructions
or what they provide is over my head and I can't seem
to get the machine to boot from the CD to install.
From the guide: "...Prepare Your Drive(s) for yaboot.
If you wish to use Linux exclusively on your computer,
create a small HFS partition (<32 MB, see Figure 4.1)
on which yaboot and its components will reside and
don't install the Mac OS. If you are going to keep Mac
OS on your system, you will use Mac OS's HFS partition
to store yaboot's components. we do recommend that
even if you are not planning on using the Mac OS that
you keep a minimal (Core) installation of Mac OS on a
small partition."
That's about all I can find and then it says just pop
in the CD and hold don the "c" key after the chime,
which I do, but it doesn't work. I know you are
supposed to have the yaboot.conf and .tbxi and
possibly the vmlinux on the root of a partition of
your first drive, which I did.
Let me explain a bit more about my setup. I recently
purchased a 30 gig HD in addition to the 10 that I
originally had in there. I suppose I should have made
the larger the master and the smaller the slave but I
did it the other way around for convenience's sake.
Anyway, I put my main system on one of the 30 gig's
partitions and I want to put YDL on the 10 gig
(master) drive.
So, I formatted the 10 gig with the "Mac OS/preferred
MKLinux" setup because I read that that was a good way
to do it in a magazine and because I didn't quite
understand how it was to be done from the guide.
Do I just make one HFS partition and leave the rest as
"Unallocated" or format them with the "A/UX" option?
And then, *exactly* what do I need to do to get the
thing to boot into the installer?

I'm excited about trying out Linux but I just can't
seem to get linux to boot at all, please help.

Peter Schart