Sound woes again (please help)

Subject: Sound woes again (please help)
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 12:14:24 MDT

Ok, if you read my previous mail about kmix crashing then disregard it. I
trashed my kmixrc file and it now works. Anyway...

I still can't get sound to work from my B&W G3 mac. And yes I know to put
"alias sound dmasound" in the /etc/conf.modues file.

When I type 'kmix' from the command line I get an error message saying:

    kmix: could not write to mixer

Similarly when I attempt to adjust the volume it says:

    kmix: could not read from mixer

aumix gives me a read error as well.

Frustrated I replaced the following rpms on my linux machine:

    audiofile-devel
    audiofile
    aumix
    dev (yes the entire /dev directory)
    esound

Running kmix or aumix still gives the same error. What component of my
system is broken? Is there some driver that is trashed that I can replace?
Can anyone recommend how to fix this? Please help, this is driving (ha) me
crazy!

Thanks in advance.

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems