Re: Sound woes again (please help)

Subject: Re: Sound woes again (please help)
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 16:06:38 MDT

on 7/21/00 2:41 PM, Ed Jaeger at ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com wrote:

> When logged in as root type "lsmod" to list loaded modules. If dmasound
> is not listed type "modprobe dmasound", then try kmix, etc. If they
> work then the problem is that the kernel isn't loading dmasound
> automagically as needed. I tore out a bit of what little hair I have
> tracking a problem like this down - it turned out I had misspelled the
> module name in /etc/conf.modules - if this isn't the problem perhaps a
> more experienced module type will chime in.

lsmod revealed the following:

Module Size Used by

sheep_net 4736 1
mol 31592 1
audio 42964 0 (unused)
dmasound 30148 1
soundcore 3456 3 [audio dmasound]

No amount of ""modprobe dmasound" commands will help. Plus dmasound does
load during the startup sequence.

The audio module saying it is unused seems odd, does that count as an
indicator that something is wrong?

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com